Zephyrs Jazz presents:
Barney McAll's 'ASIO' Quintet
Sunday 15 October, 2017 at 2pm
In partnership with Four Winds
BOOK NOW or save the date
Don't miss this opportunity to see a truly great jazz pianist perform in the
of the Windsong Pavilion.
‘McAll cast such a spell at the piano that he even created the illusion of bending notes.’
(Sydney Morning Herald)
Don’t miss our next concert:
- it will feature the exceptional, formerly New York City-based pianist/composer, Barney McAll, performing for us on an extraordinary piano;
- Barney will now perform for us with his multi-award-winning quintet, the ‘Australian Symbiotic Improvisers Orbit’ (‘ASIO’ for short);
- the other four musicians are among Australia’s best (see below);
- one is a former Far South Coast ‘local’ and he is performing here in a major concert for the first time; and
- ASIO will take this opportunity to launch its new album.
Barney McAll has been on our wish-list for years and, finally, the stars have aligned: he recently returned to live in Australia after nearly 20 years overseas; and, thanks to our partner Four Winds, we now have access to an extraordinary, handcrafted Shigeru Kawai grand piano in their wonderful performance space, the Windsong Pavilion.
About Barney McAll
Barney McAll is one of Australia’s most esteemed jazz musicians and one of the few who has also achieved distinction in that great, global music metropolis New York City. He is a Grammy-nominated, multi award-winning pianist, composer and ensemble leader and is an extraordinary performer and communicator. As just some of his achievements, he:
- won the inaugural Australian National Jazz Award and was nominated for a US Grammy award in 2007;
- has performed on over 100 recordings, released 11 acclaimed albums of his own compositions and written scores for several award-winning films;
- was invited to New York by Miles Davis alumni Gary Bartz to join his renowned Quartet, later also joining other top ensembles such as the Josh Roseman Unit, Fred Wesley and the JB’s (James Brown’s old band) and Kurt Rosenwinkel’s Heartcore;
- established his own influential bands – including the Cuban-infused M.O.D.A.S (‘Mother of Dreams and Secrets’), Sylent Running, GRAFT and Trio Feral – with some of New York’s top musicians;
- was musical director for vocalist and international sensation, Sia; and
- was awarded the prestigious Australia Council Fellowship for 2007-2008.
Barney returned to live in Australia in 2015, initially to take up the coveted ‘Peggy Glanville-Hicks composer residency’ in Sydney (the first jazz musician to receive this award). This year long award gave him the freedom to compose a new body of work and to team up with some old Australian musician mates. This combination led to the wonderful 2015 album, ‘Mooroolbark’, recorded with his new band ASIO and going on to win a swag of Bell, ARIA, AIR and iTunes jazz awards.
For more detail on Barney’s background and projects and to listen to samples of his music, visit his website. YouTube has a collection of his recordings here. And for his observations on his life in music, watch this interview.
The other band members
ASIO’s other musicians are some of the country’s best:
- Jonathan Zwartz (double bass) (see bio) and Hamish Stuart (drums) (bio) are two of our most respected and in-demand musicians. They are also familiar to many past Zephyrs audience members;
- Carl Morgan (guitar) (bio) is a National Jazz Award-winning artist and rising star – and he grew up, and first picked up a guitar, in Central Tilba!; and
- Mike Rivett (sax) (bio) is the most recent winner of the National Jazz Award.
ASIO will play two sessions of approximately 45 mins each. The concert will be followed by an opportunity to chat with other audience members and the musicians over drinks (which can be purchased from the bar) and snacks on the Windsong’s lawns.
Seating is limited in the Windsong and demand for this concert is strong. Tickets are the same $45 ticket price as for Barney’s previously advertised trio. To buy tickets click here.
The Zephyrs Jazz team looks forward to your joining us at the Windsong Pavilion on 15 October and to sharing the music with you once again. Click here for directions to the venue.
Our Facebook page
To get updates on the concert and additional information on the artists, local music scene and wider world of Australian jazz, we invite you to ‘like’ our Facebook page.
Some accolades for Barney
Barney is a special piano player with that certain heart and touch … He's a genuine musician, not just a skilled artist (Billy Harper, NY)
A sense of water is everywhere in Barney McAll's music … Rhythm is no longer a subdivision of time, but a flow that trickles or surges, spreads into pools or skips and jostles across bar-lines. (John Shand, The Age)
Now established on the intensely competitive New York jazz scene, he plays here with some of the city’s leading musicians. His music is utterly contemporary, McAll demonstrating throughout that he is a talented composer as well as gifted keyboardist. (Rolling Stone)
Event partnered with Four Winds
Artists accommodated by The Lagoon Accommodation